This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring flowers...............

Its that time of year.............friends in England are showing me pictures of their gardens. I know, maybe I do post this every year at this time. I can't help it. I love Spring flowers. It's such a wonderful time of year. I am seeing the birds singing their hearts out. The squirrels are quarrelsome, chasing each other, looking for mates. Even though here in Michigan we have a long way to go yet, it is time. I am certain I smelled a skunk the other day. That means they are awake. Looking for food, out of hibernation.Its time for babies............
 photo 0e955040-6aae-47dc-83d0-24d61e03d795_zps5137d862.jpg
Well anyway, skunks are very cute if somewhat stinky. I would love one as a pet but that ain't a happenin.......so back to flowers. Violets......Snowdrops and crocus, daffodils, tulips, hyacinth. My favourites are Violet. I even look forwards to Dandelions. Last year we had a large crop outside our fence. I love them. They are bright and pretty and look great with violets. This year I am going to try to gather the leaves, they are great in salads and in mashed potatoes.
 photo ecfce094-ff80-450b-b6e1-43b3afac5982_zps90b3be13.jpg
The very first thing I will see pop from under the snow will be last years pansies. Then the first to actually pop through will be snowdrops.
 photo 1b15a19e-b71c-4907-ade6-cc0f7add59af_zpsfe2bede2.jpg
 photo 1f424820-53e0-4747-8453-86dc7697c39f_zps4bc8e67d.jpg
Its a miracle that happens every year, the ground warms and life begins again. The forsythia blooms before the leaves are fully out. You can gather some bare branches and bring them inside and they will bloom. Yellow is the colour of Spring.
 photo eec2d29c-272e-4e5d-8969-3b3128c9994f_zps5f74a075.jpg
This year Laura and I are planning on planting a garden. It will be awhile but it will be fun. We have decided what we will plant. For now though that is a way off. Before then I plan on seeing a lot of flowers........crocus grow up by the sides of the houses because the heat from the house melts the snow there quickly.
 photo 4a9f4f3c-0e64-4c21-9e82-8b4751d52e59_zps0f18ff9b.jpg
 photo 1618c93e-2765-4b51-92ad-9a0a4e7e32b8_zps40710514.jpg

 photo b4c29141-4768-4efd-9e14-3d1c0b88ad9c_zps15825e54.jpg

5 comments:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Sigh...What a beautiful post! I love and have created all these Spring flowers at one time or another. I look forward to seeing the garden you and Laura create--hope you make some of the plates into feeders/water trays!

Magic Love Crow said...

Beautiful post! Today, I ordered some plants from one of the gardening magazines! So Spring has to come! LOL! Those skunks are so cute! I have had dandelion heads, in a light batter and deep fried! Excellent!!! Big Hugs ;o)

Kaye Swain said...

Oh what a lovely post for Anything Blue Friday. We haven't seen any skunks, cute or otherwise, around our home but we have heard raccoons and occasionally get to enjoy seeing DEER! My senior mom was tickled pink to see one today! Thanks for delightful visit.

CraveCute said...

Gorgeous images! Love those little stinkers! Violets are some of my favorites.

Arija said...

These are the best shots of snowdrops and crocus I have ever seen, literally poking through the snow.