This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

October.........

Its October, the sun is still shining. It's still warm although the nights are nippy. In some places we have had frost but not a killing frost so far. I have sprayed and brought most of my plants in that are coming in. I have pretty much given up on the garden. Today I did go have a look around. If its still nice at the weekend I will try a clean up. I do have to bring in ornaments. I have found that the ornaments I have made will need ongoing repairs, the glue does not hold forever apparently. That's Ok, I can recycle. I will remake them next year. The ones I really liked I can redo, clean and reapply the glue. A few got broken. With a (now) 6 year old around its not worth putting a lot of money into things.
I am also thinking of digging up the gardens one by one in the Spring and redoing them. I want to bunch things together and make a better display. I have been putting things in hither and yon and now they are sparse. So.......as I was looking around I saw Mr and Mrs Cardinal. I got this picture of Mr
 photo 104_0129a_zpscx86qhan.jpg
I saw some pretty leaves and it reminded me of childhood. I remember one class in what we call Kindergarden here, we had to collect leaves and press them for a school project.
 photo 104_0130a_zpsuymliylp.jpg
 photo 104_0134a_zpsxtmrykrt.jpg
It made me think of the village back when I was a kid the old farm across the road from school that was covered in beautiful vines that were reds and oranges in Autumn. I love things that take me back, is that a sign of old age when we start to remember the past.?
I also love to look at the shapes of seed pods. I always take a picture of this one.
 photo 104_0145a_zpsfqns6o8p.jpg
Also the Bee Balm
 photo 104_0149a_zpsue4bvzmb.jpg
The Michaelmas Daisies are doing so well out the front. I have to move the back ones. The bees are still loving them and they have spread really well to make a nice display of colour. I love the bee's wings.
 photo 104_0141a_zpszmjxqgjb.jpg
 photo 104_0143s_zpsbl4ezkri.jpg
One thing for certain, next year I really must find out what is eating my plants and flowers. They are all full of small holes. I suspect a gnat type of thing. I did get rid of slugs early on and its not that. So maybe when I take things out I can spray them before putting them back. By doing this I wont need to buy a bunch of stuff next year. If I do, it will be small shrubs that flower. By the road I tried a wild flower garden. What a mess that is. That's going. I will pull all that and put in a couple of knockout roses. They will get plenty of sun. I will have some roses and it will look pretty.
 photo 104_0138_zpsza9przgm.jpg
The Pine trees are going to get trimmed back and under those I will plant shrubs and hosta. I would love a fence but......well I don't think that's going to happen.

1 comment:

September Violets said...

Everything is looking so pretty still in your gardens Janice! My gardens are just about finished. Lots of green, but not much flowering. I ripped out a bunch of shasta daisies last year because they just didn't last long enough for me, and they were completely taking of my black-eyed Susans (which I liked better). If the Michaelmas daisies last such a long time, maybe I'll try those instead. I feel the same way about decorative things in my yard. My yard is full of kids I take in during the day, so things have to be strong enough to withstand them, or mostly just out of their reach! Windchimes are my favourite as I enjoy the sound and so do the kids :)
Have a great weekend!
Wendy